As you may now be aware, the Local Government Commission is going to be on the West Coast in June to find out what the West Coast community thinks about its local government arrangements. This email is to let you and your organisation know about the meetings and activities that we have planned and to invite you to join in.
Last year we received an application asking us to look at the local government arrangements on the West Coast. To give us a better understanding of local government on the West Coast, a series of community workshops and drop-in sessions are being held on the West Coast.
Drop-in sessions and community workshops
We would like to invite you and your organisation to attend a drop-in session or workshop. We want to hear what you think about your local government arrangements. Pop in to a meeting between 15 and 30 June:
Inviting your views on our key questions
At these meetings we will be particularly interested in responses to some key questions we are asking the community. These questions are:
1. What are the big challenges and opportunities for the West Coast?
2. What do you like about the current way your councils are set up and the way services are delivered? Can you give examples?
3. Is there anything about the current way your councils are set up and the way services are delivered, that you would like to change? What is it, and why?
4. Are there any council services you think would be better delivered over a wider area as shared services by existing councils? What services and why? How would this affect local communities?
5. Should some councils be combined? If yes, which ones? How would it affect the communities concerned?
If you can’t attend a drop-in session or workshop you can email your response to firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at PO Box 5362, Wellington 6140. We would like your responses by 8 July.
We also have a short online questionnaire asking questions about your current local government set up and the way services are delivered. Please take the opportunity to fill it in and return it to us by 8 July.
The questionnaire is available on our website at www.lgc.govt.nz. It is also available in hard copy as part of a tear off section in our pamphlet West Coast Local Government – what do you think? The pamphlet is available from local councils and libraries on the West Coast.
You can find out more information at www.lgc.govt.nz or from a pamphlet available for your local council or library.
Lead Advisor – Reorganisation
Local Government Commission Mana Kāwanatanga Ā Rohe
DDI +64 4 494 0588 | Extn: 5588| 027 801 5539
147 Lambton Quay | P O Box 5362, Wellington 6140, New Zealand | www.lgc.govt.nz